I was glad to find more useful resources in the process of completing the project. Our university library seems to have a very decent architecture section which I made use of in the modeling process. The books most relevant to this particular project deconstructed the Victorian house and old cathedrals. The first one aided me with thinking of colour and texture while the later was an excellent resource of information in terms of layout.
Making different structures fit together and not look like the building is collapsing was one of the biggest challenges. Since the model isn’t copied from an actual building but more of an amalgam or various elements, I think it very possible that there could still be structural integrity issues within the design. Nevertheless, those books helped a lot!
Cathedral arches and layout inspiration:
Victorian house decorations and textures:
Another book that offered great insight into the building of arches was a Gaudi book found last year when doing research for the floating city project.
Pictures available here:
Grant, N. (1972). Cathedrals. London: F. Watts.
Osband, L. (2002). Victorian house style. Newton Abbot: David & Charles.
Today I tried applying some texture to the environment in order to make it more believable. I tried different wood planks, bricks and tiles.
One of the main things I was planning to do for this project was to learn how to texture. Unfortunately, we are running out of time and I still need to fix some mesh issues of my models. I believe I wasted a bit of time making elements that didn’t really fit.
The resources I found were great though and I fully intend to make use of them soon!
Eat3d.com. (2017). Overlaying Normal Maps in Photoshop | Eat 3D. [online] Available at: http://eat3d.com/free/overlaying-normal-maps-photoshop [Accessed 18 Oct. 2017].
Using the ambient occlusion and the wireframe shaders in preparation for the final renders, I was able to find an impressive number of small errors in my own models. I believe I should have done this at an earlier stage in the project in order to avoid last minute rush, which is what eventually happened.
For future reference, I will try to get my models double checked by other team members and do the same in return so that any errors can be detected and dealt with early enough to not interfere with other stages of the project.
While looking for inspiration to help me start modelling, I came across a very interesting 3D piece of work on ArtStation from an artist called Triston Beadle. His version of an industrial train station aided me in the process of making our own building structurally stable while creating a believable, busy scene.
Since the style is similar to what we were aiming for, I was grateful to have such a great reference point. Starting from there, it was easy to find tutorials for modelling the things I couldn’t figure out on my own. Knowing what the end product was supposed to look like made it a lot easier.
Beadle, T. (2017). Industrial train station. [3D Modelling] https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QkVB8.
Made a quick model of a clock that could be hung in the dome part of the train station if we decide we need one there.