The modelling in the scene below is very simple, but it can be seen how good textures and good lighting can transform a low poly hallway into a believable scene. We are aiming for a more realistic environment but this is a good starting point:

This next scene is obviously not what we are looking for, but I believe some atmospheric aspects of it are transferable. For example, the fridge (?) at the end seems to have a similar style to what we are trying to achieve:

Below is a good example of a dilapidated room, walls, beds:

Below – the daily life of Syrian kids. Gives great insight into the kind of routine and expectations someone in that environment would have to deal with

City planning software to help get a better idea of how to make our set realistic enough:

Below are a few very powerful images that I believe perfectly capture the kind of life our project aims to explore:


A middle eastern setting would be easily identified by staple trees such as the Aleppo Pine and fig palm trees.

An Eastern European city would be easily recognised by its high number of poplars and wild apple trees as seen below.




insert description of project and goals


Paths of hate – The style/colour palette makes it comes across as a hopeful almost dream-like crossover between pixar and contemporary marvel comic books. It is breathtakingly beautiful but doesn’t necessarily convey the weight of the subject.

Our project – look at what sounds would fit and feed that atmosphere into our work

The lack of narration or dialogue makes this project rely on its aesthetics. Possibly tweak some of the angles to be more dynamic (while making sure the story is still easy to read and follow of course).

Define the layout of the room.

Is that the dilapidated house they used to live in so we’ll see old broken family possessions or is it just a shelter they found and took? That helps define the look of the room as well, if it’s just a shelter they might have just a couple of mattresses instead of actual beds (just an idea).




Animation Strategies Reflection

Throughout the course of this second project I have been experimenting with a lot of new processes. Although the first project of the semester resulted in the building of a lot of 3D assets, I believe I have learnt much more from the heavy research and small exercises involved in the later part of the semester. Having been extremely indecisive about the personal project path from the beginning, I found it difficult to commit either way. I wanted to chose something that will still be relevant to the field and sought after when I graduate so I could fully immerse myself in it. It is important to me that I don’t follow a path that brings me into an oversaturated job market.

With that in mind, I chose to focus on rigging. It is the process that I have had least experience with, so it made sense. I knew it was going to be difficult and meticulous, so the moment I made my decision I had a chat with Edward and Andrew from 3rd year who worked as riggers during their placement year. They were very kind and helpful and shared their blogs with me, which was an excellent starting point considering I wasted a lot of time researching other things. Viola, who chose to focus on rigging as well, suggested that since we were both trying to learn the same things we should update each other on the resources we would find. That is exactly what we did and it worked great for both of us.

In the beginning, I watched many tutorials on different approaches to rigging, and read Mastering Autodesk Maya 2016 and the Rig It Right files that were made available to us. The Autodesk forums were also of great help during the rigging exercises, as a lot of tutorials skip key parts or they are relevant only to older versions of Maya, but not to the new 2018 one.

For our short animation I only had time to build a basic rig of the character and even still it did not go as smoothly as I expected. Constraint relationships seemed to break when switching the file from PC to Mac and other parented controllers would behave differently on each device. I eventually managed to fix the issues but in some cases it was just a matter of re-parenting them.

Starting to learn how to rig was an excellent decision and now I feel more confident about dealing with complex processes in Maya. It also helped me build me more realistic expectations for different time frames.

2nd Project of 1st Semester


UV mapping





Title sequence – effects:

I chose the word “Jitters” because I believe it captures the subject of our animation perfectly. I also chose that particular font and pastel colour palette because it’s reminiscent of old cartoons that we used as inspiration in the beginning of the project.


Background/Overlay concepts:




More complex rig setups for personal project:


Starting sequence and end sequence I put together using Debbie’s illustrated versions of our team members. I just used music and sound effects I found on Youtube.

Remember to put up the video quality



Create a free website or blog at

Up ↑